Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mountain storm coming


A storm is moving into our mountains and desert.  This isn't a Pacific storm or an Arctic storm.  Instead, it is a tropical storm moving up from Mexico.  In summer this would be a monsoon.  This time of year, well, we are just expecting a trace of rain here in the desert.  I have no idea how much rain the mountains will get.  I drove up to the horses Monday afternoon after school to buy pellets for them, since I was almost completely out.  The feed store was busy and I ran into the ranch owners there.  They were also buying pellets for their horses.  I always look for clouds up in the mountains before I drive up there, but I really didn't have much choice yesterday.  The horses didn't have enough pellets to get them through the week and my trainer was giving them all a lesson today and she always gives them pellets when she's done.  So, as I crested one hill, I looked out and saw these clouds spilling down from the mountains.  It was incredible.  They were moving and falling rapidly.  I could just feet the moisture and smell wet cement and soil.  I really didn't want to go home!  I saw a hawk take off from one tree and fly across the highway to another one (a red-tailed hawk) and a stillness settled throughout the valley.  The clouds are really moving in tonight, down here in the desert, and our rain will be starting within 24 hours.

No comments: