Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cali

Cali was an absolute brat on Sunday, when I drove up to the ranch to work the horses.  Yes, she's adorable, but she's also LAZY.  She wouldn't flex.  She wouldn't move her bod.  She did easily come to me (she probably thought I had a treat, but I didn't...). She kicked me in the thigh when I was picking up her back foot.  Fortunately, she hit the fatty part on my leg and it didn't even leave a bruise...sigh...with 5 horses ALL in training at the same time, it's difficult to get to all of them, especially in one day.  I worked with 4 of them Sunday, which was the most I've ever done.  I was sick again on Saturday and I'm beginning to wonder why I'm sick at least 1 day every weekend now...I'm really looking forward to the time change when we have more afternoon light, so I can drive up there after school and work with them at least one afternoon each week, but that's a while away.

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sorry you've been sick and the horses have been giving you a hard time. I hope you feel better and I agree..I can't wait for longer days and summer to arrive!


~Lisa

Margaret said...

You own and have five horses in training? Or you help work with them? Either way, I heard that three days in a row is better than every other. So work two half the week, let them rest, then work three the other and take one day off. ha! I can't even imagine... What is your game plan with them? I'm curious how much time you put in!