Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day, my birthday, and Sunday Stills Challenge 021410



































































Yes, today's my birthday. WHAT? 29 AGAIN? And, since hubby and I are on the road, and this trip was my birthday present, I thought I'd post more photos from the Sierras! Here's hubby, yesterday morning, making some more new friends. The one horse just wouldn't even look at me! He followed hubby around until he got a good nose rub. This field is just north of Bishop. Then, we headed up to Mammoth. Oh, my! Talk about S-N-O-W! It had just snowed in the Sierras on Wednesday of last week and many areas were still covered with white, sparkled powder. It was interesting to see all the little critter tracks and deer tracks across the fresh snow! Then, we took the June Lake loop, but it was closed on the Silver Lake side and we were not able to make it to Silver Lake. So, we turned back through town and drove up to Bridgeport. That entire valley was covered with snow! Snow on the mountains and snow in the valley! I guess that's what snow blindness is? I had to put on my sunglasses! Oh, and gas there was $3.99 a gallon, the highest in California that we've seen so far! I mean, even Lee Vining was only $3.69 a gallon! Mono Lake was entirely surrounded by snow-covered peaks. It was a good day yesterday! THANK YOU, hubby, for a wonderful vacation and birthday present! Sunday Stills Challenge for February 14, 2010. For those of you familiar with Mono Lake, even the visitor center was closed! The road was plowed to its back door and we followed another truck there and got some shots of Mono Lake from that view. Lee Vining was pretty much closed down. Too much snow and it is their off season.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's day and Happy Birthday to you. I will celebrate my birthday this month too. I wouldn't mind doing some traveling on my birthday as well. What a nice birthday present! Your photographs are fantastic. I especially like the 6th picture down from the top, the one of the frozen lake with the snow-covered mountains in the background.

lisa said...

Happy Birthday, we share the same birthday month! Mine was last saturday! You have a lovely day!

Molly said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Buddy!
Hurry home to this 80 degree day we ordered just for you.

Holly said...

Happy Birthday and have a lovely time! But keep the snow there please, we have enough already!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Mono Lake looks like the place to visit either summer or winter, it's truely beautiful.

Brenda said...

Happy Birthday again! I love the pic of the bridge with the hill in the background.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Happy birthday and Valentine's Day! What a lovely way to celebrate both

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gorgeous! Happy Valentine's Day! And Happy Birthday!

~Lisa