Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blonde moment!!!


Oh, DUH! I had a blonde moment today! I thought the swap meet was today, being a 3 day weekend. Nope!~~~~~~~ it is NEXT WEEKEND! I FINALLY managed to drive up the hill about noon, but there was no swap meet! Hmmmm....oh, that's right! Today is the LAST Saturday of the month, not the first or third! DARN! Oh, well...I'll get photos up next week of the swap meet!

I did work with Gigondas for an hour today, didn't halter her, just hung out with her. I hate to admit it, but this is the FIRST time I wasn't afraid of her! YES! Can you believe it? Two years and I'm finally at ease with her! And, she with me! I had some apples in my pockets and when I motioned for her to come to me, she did, so she got an apple! I was able to brush her and go down her legs with my hands! She actually approached me and stood behind me and let out great big sighs! (***NOTE***She was an abused horse, so THIS is a REAL BREAKTHROUGH!)!!!!!!! My friend, Barb, said it took her SEVEN YEARS to break through to her gray mare, who was also abused! I was so proud of Gigondas today! I let the babies (mustangs) out into the arena to run around, but a thunderstorm was QUICKLY approaching from the east, so I moved them back to their corral. BUT...they got to run around and get their"friskies" out!!! Scout actually shoved her nose into the halter, she was SO EAGER to get out and run!

Oh, and "Mr. Gray", my missing cat, appeared! He was in our locked extra bedroom! Hmmm....I called him several times and even went in there! Guess he was KONKED OUT! Phew! I am so glad he is okay and accounted for! I fed him a good dinner and put him outside and I am thankful that he is alright. It was a good day after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gigo is responding to your good intentions. What a milestone. She is going to be fine because of what you are doing for her.

Shirley said...

So glad you found your cat; mine went missing for three days; turns out he was locked in a neighbour's garage. He came home on his own at a dead run, scared out of his kitty hide by the neighbours dogs. Boy was I glad to see him!