Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

We're still here and sad news from Oak Glen, Los Rios apple farm

 Well, we're still here!   We just don't do much and we don't go out except to our daughter's.   I'm babysitting the 7 year old during the day for 2 weeks each month to make sure she is on task with her distance learning.   Her other grandma comes for 2 weeks after my stretch is done.   One can ONLY do 2 weeks at a time because she can be exhausting!    Mommie is trying to teach middle school band from the bedroom!   OY!

Sad news from Oak Glen:   The Los Rios apple ranch main building and packing shed were all destroyed by fire last week.   The fire started at 2:30 a.m.   The bakery is GONE.   The store is GONE.   Part of the adjacent Wildlands Conservacy was burned, too.  I remember going up there as a kid with my grandparents.   100 years of history...GONE.

I am busy planting my fall garden.   I'm going to have to replace one of my blue salvias because overnight something ate the leaves and it is ready to be pulled out.   Oh, and we have gophers out back.   Our lab mix, Bodie, loves to stick his nose down their hole and DIG horrible holes!   He has actually caught 2 of them.   I thought we were done, but noooooooooooooooooo!   Another one is already pushing up dirt...sigh...

Oh, and we have HORNETS at the hummingbird feeders, so I brought them all in this morning.   Pesky little things and they fly around my face!

Until next time.

Cheryl

No comments: