Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Horses get their shots and Quad had an abscess

 So, it was that time of year for the herd to get their shots and my wonderful vet, Dr. Lindsey Crowley, came with 2 assistants yesterday.   First of all, I had her look at Quad because Cathy, the ranch owner, said he was lame.   He stood in one spot yesterday, legs stiff, and didn't move.   Poor guy.   Well, Dr. Lindsey took a look at his front hooves and discovered a big, nasty abscess in one of them, so she went to work!   Then she bandaged that one up and looked at the other one and bandaged it up, too.   He has thrush in his back 2 hooves, so I'm going to buy some Thrust Buster today and I'll go back Saturday to drop it off.   By the time she was done with him, he was running and bucking in his corral!    So good to see him back to normal!   She almost forgot to give him his shot!

Gigondas was a GOOD GIRL, as usual.   Scout?   Scout was a brat, as usual.   She didn't want NO DAMN SHOT and she let everybody know!   The doc passed on Sunni because last year he was a complete IDIOT and wouldn't let anybody near him, so Cathy will give him his shot.

I'm glad that is over.   PHEW!   It was 95 degrees up there and I drank a whole bottle of Vitamin water, and I came home and drank...4 glasses of herbal iced tea!   And, I took a nap for an hour!   That warm weather is deceiving even with a nice breeze.

So, they are all done for a year,   Quad, however, will need to get pads and shoes on his front feet.

I'm going out this morning and planting some hollyhock seeds...tis the season!

XOXOXO

Cheryl

Quad and Crystal, his neighbor.   He has managed to chew off most of her tail!   HOW RUDE!   He is much more spotted now (he's 16 years old) and his mane and tail and both white now.

No comments: