Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

We saw pelicans and I howled with the coyotes!

Yesterday afternoon was magical.  First, the two-day storm was beginning to clear out.  We had rain on and off for two days and the storm was finally moving east and breaking up.  It was GORGEOUS yesterday afternoon, so I took a couple of routes home.  Hubby and I ended up at the Desert willow golf course here in town.  I parked the car (we had gone to Indio to babysit the grandkids) and we walked along the ponds until the damn mosquitoes got to us.  I drove down the road a little way and something white caught my eye.  I thought it was egrets, but when we quietly got out, we discovered a dozen white pelicans!  This was unusual.  There are brown pelicans at the Salton Sea, but I haven't seen white ones.  They were probably migrating somewhere...

We snuck up on them and I got a few photos before they heard us and flew off in a huff and a puff!  WELL!  Good thing they did, because a pack of coyotes was howling right behind the pond!  They howled and I howled back at them!  It was quite a conversation!




No comments: