Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Moving forward

With the loss of Lucille this past week, I've had to do a lot of thinking.  I'm down to 4 horses now and I've lost my only riding horse.  I will NOT be getting another horse.

But you know, the herd was so responsive when I visited on Sunday...Yes, they were grieving for her, but they were all very sympathetic and gentle with me.  I really noticed a difference with them.  Scout, for her part, didn't bolt in the arena.  She actually stood still while I fiddled around with a longer lead rope and a different clip on it.  Usually, by that time, she would have bolted and dragged the lead rope all over the arena, but on Sunday, she stood calmly and allowed me to fiddle around while I TRIED to get it off.  Quad walked peacefully and quietly and wouldn't leave my side.  He nuzzled my hair and honestly, I could have tied him to a string and led him around!  GOOD BOY!

So, I'll just continue to visit them on weekends and not worry about riding any of them.  As our daughter says, "Mom, I want you around for the grandchildren."...Indeed, this is something to think about, eh?


No comments: