Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

FIRE and update

Well, a motorhome caught on fire Monday and, of course, with the winds, the flames spread to nearby bushes and soon it was 500 acres.  A huge plane was called out to drop water, helicopters were put into action, and many firefighters were on the fire.  I knew something was up from Facebook.  It started 3 miles EAST of the 371 and 74 turnoff, near the Pacific Crest Trail, and Paradise Corner.  There is a restaurant at that corner and it became the fire fighting headquarters.  Highway 74 was CLOSED at the base of Palm Desert, so I didn't get up to Anza to unload 5 bags of pellets for the horses.  I'm going to TRY to get up there today, if my energy levels hold up. The road opened last night to all travelers, so now I can at least drive up to Anza.  Apparently the fire is still burning, but it is away from the highway and is CONTAINED.  Right now, I'm on a sugar high from breakfast, but I'll crash later.  I've GOT to better regulate my sugar intake.  I think Nuzzling Muzzles can relate to this...???  And, Sandy, I'd LOVE for you to come help...anytime! :-)

I did manage to get out yesterday and meet 2 of my colleagues for lunch at Cheesecake Factory.  We all had the chicken lettuce wraps and then split a piece of caramel cheesecake!  I bought some new blouses for school (I'm TRYING to look more professional) and JCPenney's, Macys, and Kohls are all having good sales right now.

HOT weather is moving in and it will be 113 on Friday, 114 on Saturday, and then again Sunday, and 113 on Monday.  I'll have to go to school Monday and put up bulletin boards.  That is an all-day effort and the district just doesn't give us enough time to do this on THEIR time.  We'll have all-day meetings either Tuesday or Wednesday, then the students show up on Thursday and Friday.  Thank goodness there are only 2 days that first week, although kids don't always show up those days.  Then, a whole week, then Labor Day weekend!  Unfortunately, with temps in the 110+ area, it will be hot, hot, hot for the students!

1 comment:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It seems all of California is on fire. My son's girlfriend used to be a server at The Cheesecake Factory. I made the mistake of ordering an entire cake to take home. It was huge and rich, and there was no way the four of us could eat it all even over a period of several days, so I started inviting all these people over specifically to help us eat the cake. Yup. Gotta watch that sugar intake. Ha ha.