Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Lucille is gone...RIP

I haven't blogged lately because Lucille was starting to have some REAL problems.  First, she wasn't eating her hay, so we tried her on pellets.  That didn't work either.  My vet was out early this month and filed her teeth and gave her her shots, but I noticed she was very hairy and thin.  She did a test and it confirmed that Lucille had Cushings.  I couldn't afford the $100 a month meds.  Then the ranch owner said her back end was wobbly, like she had neurological damage.  She continued her downward slide of not eating, and yesterday she peacefully passed over the Rainbow Bridge.  We don't really know how old she was.  She had been used at another ranch in Anza for several years and then the other boarder bought her and boarded her up at the ranch for about 5 years.  My vet said she was well over 20 years old. She had a good life, she was always taken care of, and she was loved.  Now she is free to roam the skies with Beauty and Cali.

RIP Lucille.  She was a big horse with a big heart.

This was me on Lucille last year.

4 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm so sorry, Cheryl Ann. I know you are heartbroken.

Barb said...

Poor old Lucille. I am so relieved that you had her for the last year or so of her life. She needed plenty of loving and it broke my heart to see her in that corral all by herself pleading for someone to come and spend time with her. It's hard to lose an animal but Lucille will be thrilled to have had you in her life.

Linda said...

I'm sorry this happened, but it is good to know she was loved in her last years. You still have a big herd and there is as much pleasure, if not more, working and being with them from the ground. My best to you and your horse family.

Mrs Shoes said...

I'm sorry to hear this Cheryl Ann, you must be hurting a lot & I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that you gave Lucille a wonderful life.