Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Had a good horse visit yesterday

We left Monday morning for Vegas and got home Friday afternoon.  That only left this weekend to finish up whatever I needed to go before returning to school (BLAAAHHHHHH!) tomorrow morning.  So, yesterday morning, I got up, fed the cats, dog, and outside birds, and headed up the mountain to go buy pellets for the horses and to exercise them.  It was a beautiful, spring morning as I headed up Highway 74 in our local mountains.  I soon spotted a herd of at least 3 bighorn sheep, but, unfortunately, I couldn't pull over to photograph them.  First, there were NO turnouts near them, and second, I had 5 cars behind me, including one who was tailgaiting me!  So, on I went...sigh...I hate it how people follow you so closely you can't even slow down!

Anyway, first I took Scout out down to the arena, since I knew how pent-up she would be and YUP, she was!  I hadn't had the time to visit them last weekend before we left.  It was our granddaughter's birthday party on Saturday and Sunday was Easter Sunday...so it had been two weeks since any of them had been out.  And, she was FULL of oats!  She was hard to handle in the arena, but otherwise she walked very nicely.  I took out Lucille, who looked like a woolly mammoth, over to the tie rack, and brushed and brushed and brushed and brushed her.  MY GOODNESS!  Her hair came out in clumps!  I took her up to the round pen, and she immediately rolled and rolled and rolled.  Next, I took Gigondas over to the large corral next to her pen and she rolled and rolled.  ALL of the horses are shedding, but none of them are as furry as Lucille!

I had stopped and purchased 3 bags of pellets and salt blocks for all of them, so I unloaded those items.  By then, it was noon and it was getting H-O-T!  So, back went Scout, Lucille, and Gigondas.  I never did let out Quad or Sunni, but I may ask the owner to let them out sometime this next week for some R&R.    Drove home, took a nap, and headed over to our son's for dinner.  He has a new job up in Central California and he will work weekdays, and then drive home on the weekends with a cousin of his wife.  They are both working in the same area and will also share an apartment.

So, TOMORROW I return to school.  Ugh.  Wish me luck.
~~Cheryl Ann~~
(I haven't uploaded my photos from yesterday, and I'll do that later...)  I had to take my old Nikon because my Canon was acting goofy.  Hubby blew it out and told me it was full of dust!

No comments: