Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Good day today and I finally got some horse time!

I've been drinking a dietary supplement instead of eating lunch this week and I've got to admit it...my energy level is returning!  FINALLY!  Not to plug them, but here's their website:   http://shop.myvega.com/Vega-Us/Vega-Nutritional-Products_2  Today was the first weekend day in MONTHS that I've actually had the energy to do the following:  brush both Cali and Scout,  take Cali up to the round pen for some R&R; take out Quad and take him down to the arena; empty out Quad's water trough (ugh...it was NASTY!), go to the feed store, buy and unload 4 bags of pellets, and clean out the mustangs' water trough.  All that in one day and I still had energy!  Of course, I came home and took a 1 hour nap, but, hey...I haven't been able to do this in MONTHS!  Oh, and I walked the complete outer dirt road by the golf course (didn't see any coyotes...sigh...) and walked for over 30 minutes this morning!  I really do attribute this to the supplement.  So, now instead of eating a big lunch and then having to TRY to teach math and digest a heavy lunch, I just mix water with my package of stuff and drink it, and go on my way!  I did eat some leftover chicken on Thursday and I felt sluggish all afternoon.  I bought some single packets of the Vanilla Chai one, but I think I'm going to order it online and save some money.  I even pulled up a chair and sat with Sunni for a while.  He was a little put off by my sun hat and I wanted him to get used to it.  The horses are all fine and their hair is coming out in globs.  I didn't brush out Sunni, Quad, or Gigondas.  I did wet Gigo down with the hose as she enjoys that.  She always rolls right after that!  Quad was BEGGING me to let him out of his pen!  He stood right at his gate and came up behind me and nuzzled me, so I knew he wanted some exercise.  Man, he took off running, kicking, snorting, and bucking and farting!  Then he settled down to eat weeds!  So, it was a good day for all of us.  I won't be able to drive up there tomorrow morning as we are having a family Mother's Day brunch...maybe later in the afternoon?  The clouds were amazing today and I'm hoping that tomorrow we'll have some high clouds again.  Here's nosy Scout. She still has a lot of hair to be brushed out! But, I'm proud of her.  When I haltered Cali to take her out of the corral, Scout didn't crowd me at all.  She stood quietly and let me take Cali out (I nearly FAINTED!)  Scout has come a long way in her manners, and I can't wait for school to be over this year so that I can spend the summer with them and work them myself.

No comments: