Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Onion Valley Road






Yesterday afternoon we arrived in Lone Pine, about 2:00 p.m. Since we had nothing to do and the room wasn't ready, hubby decreed that we should drive up to Onion Valley. Onion Valley is the highest road on the eastern Sierra, except for the Tioga Pass, which is the eastern entrance to Yosemite. I said, "Sure, why not?" Huh? Maybe I should have consulted the GPS first. Now, as you know, I'm used to driving mountain roads like the one I take up to the horses, but this one was very narrow with LOTS of curves and very few guardrails! And, the guardrails that it had were all banged up from cars hitting them! OOPS! So, I put the car in 2nd gear and up we went. I must say that the views were spectacular of the rock outhangings and the valley below. And, hubby, who was busy on his IPad, informed me that once we got to the top, it was only 12 miles to Kings Canyon (as the crow flies). Unfortunately, this road didn't go another 12 miles. It ended at the Onion Valley trailhead. There were a few hardy hikers there and 2 beautiful wolf/husky mix dogs. They were loping along the road and one of them jumped into the stream which was running next to the parking area. We sat and watched the bushes wiggle and move and then he/she popped out and shook all the water off. Then, they went running/loping back down the very narrow road to find their owner. I guess they were done for the afternoon because when we turned around to head back down the winding road, one of them had his/her head out the back of the truck window. We followed the truck back down the hill in 2nd gear and stopped to take a few photos along the way. It was good to get back on the flatland after that road! P.S. I have NO idea what the blue streak is in the top photo. Maybe sometime to do with the altitude? Atmospherics? We were over 9,000 feet high when I took it...???

No comments: