Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Horses today~Quad and Gigondas




I went up to the ranch today because hubby is going to be home all weekend and we'll be CLEANING the house...sigh...(I HATE cleaning!). Gigondas turned her butt to me and wouldn't even let me touch her..she ran off every time I got near her. I think she is in heat???? Would that be it? She was a real *itch today! Quad, on the other hand, was a real charmer and put his big old head on my shoulder and cuddled! Go figure...I did a bunch of chores, swept out the tack room, round a mummified mouse, and brought home some brushes so I can clean them and put them out in the sun to dry. I bought 2 bags of feed, 1 bag of bermuda pellets, 1 huge salt block, and 3 small ones for the horses. I also bought 2 hanging feeders for the mustangs so that they don't always have to eat on the ground (and injest sand). I NEED to get some rubber mats moved up to their corral, but I'll need the owners to help me with their tractor as those things weigh a TON!!!! Man, they are heavy! I gave Cali a bath yesterday and was going to give Quad one today, but by the time I finished my chores, it was noon and just too hot to be out in the sun, even up in the mountains. I have to be especially careful and remember to put on my sunscreen and hat when I am up there. I had melanoma about 7 years ago and I'm now paranoid about being out in the sun. I'll drive up Monday and Tuesday and give Quad his bath on Monday and then maybe do Sunni on Tuesday. Phew! Then, back to the desert where it is ONLY 107 degrees today. It was 113 yesterday and just too darn hot to do anything outdoors! I left the dogs inside all day and they are inside again today. It is supposed to be 113/114 over the July 4th weekend. That's Gigondas during her lesson last week and that's Quad and my trainer, Maia.

No comments: