Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mustangs' lesson and Quad

For the first time, I didn't check my gasoline gauge before heading up the hill. OOPS! I had nearly a half tank of gas when I last checked, but when I looked down at my gasoline gauge today, I only had 2 notches. That's about a gallon. And, my warning light came on. Double OOPS! I had already passed the last gas station in town and I knew that once I hit the downward part of the mountain road, I'd be getting 60 mpg, so I figured I'd be okay. I didn't count on the road construction (CalTrans is repaving part of the road), but I made it down the hill safely and coasted into the first gasoline station I saw! That was too close and I learned an important lesson: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check my gasoline gauge before heading up that mountain! I must have used most of my remaining gasoline heading up and over it this morning. Anyway, the mustangs had their lesson today. First, Maia took Cali down to the tie rack and picked up her feet and put fly spray on her. GOOD GIRL! Cali is just so mellow. Maia has been just putting a saddle pad on her, but today she got a bareback pad with a cinch. Cali was fine until she took her first breath with it...then she did a couple of half-hearted kicks and settled right down. GOOD GIRL! It was pretty ho-hum after that! She took Cali back to the corral and got Ms. Prissy (Scout) out. Scout, as you all know, can be a handful. She's smart, she's an alpha mare, and she wants to do things HER way! And, she doesn't like fly spray. Period. End of discussion. So, Maia patiently started at her shoulder and got one side completely done...enough for today! Scout has been saddle broke and went around the round pen like a pro today. GOOD GIRL! She did everything my trainer asked and was ready for more, but Maia also wanted to work with Quad, so she ended Scout's lesson on a positive note. Now, Mr. Quad...sigh...she put him in cross ties and walked to her car to get a drink of water and suddenly Quad got goofy and broke one of the side ties and the buckle on his halter. No reason. He just got goofy and pulled back...so I let him stand there and think about it. She took him down to the arena to work him in circles. He has one side that he does NOT LIKE and she worked him on that one. She's working him every week so that she can ride him and I think he is now finally ready. Whoo, whoo! After he was done in the arena, she took him to the tie rack and was I was putting SWAT fly goop on his face when he pulled back and got loose and went running off. BIG SISSY! We brought him back and I finished putting the fly stuff on him and he was fine. ???? We don't know what got into him today, but he seriously does NOT like people putting their hands up by his head. Now, I put my hands on his head all the time when he's in his corral and I DID notice at first he pulled back, but I haven't had any problems with him recently, so I'll need to work with him on this...I'll go up again tomorrow morning and work with Sunni and then Quad. Gigondas is ignoring me and won't let me near her. Honestly, she's being a real BUTTHEAD. I was able to get fly spray on her and I just sat in her corral with her and tried to let her calm down, but she absolutely would NOT let me touch her...sigh...

No comments: