Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fly season

Yes, it's that time of year again.  This year, however, I've made up my own fly repellent spray which mostly consists of lavender essential oil and some eucalyptus and citronella.  I'm hoping it will work.  I made a batch of essential oil/castile soap spray which I used at school this year.  I added peppermint essential oil to that one and it made the room smell HEAVENLY!  The kids really liked it.  I ordered my essential oils through Rose Mountain herbs, but I also bought some at Clark's Nutrition, which is in Palm Desert.  Fortunately they carry almost everything I need and while their prices are a little bit higher, I don't have to pay for shipping. I'm anxious to see how my homemade fly repellent recipe works.  For some reason, the lavender is supposed to repel insects...???

No comments: