Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Short visit with the horses

I stopped by the ranch for a short visit with the horses today on my way back from Temecula.  I had driven over to our son's place Friday afternoon to help him with some yard work.  My plan was to stop by the horse ranch Saturday on my way home and exercise the horses, but I forgot I had cleaned out my car and I didn't have my gloves and there is NO WAY I'm taking horses out of their pens without gloves!  Nope, nope!

I did manage to stop and feed them and scoop mosquito larvae out of Scout's water trough.  Ugh.  I'm going to drive back maybe Monday and empty it and scrub it out.  Yuck!  Quad's is pretty bad, too.  Neither one gets any shade and the water is hot.

The farrier is supposed to come sometime next week or the following week and I need the herd to get all their shots.  The owner is going to coordinate all this as she has a filly that will have to be tranqualized before she gets her feet done.  So, the vet and farrier will both have to arrive about the same time, same day.

On my way back down the hill, I spotted a herd of 4 bighorn sheep.  Daddy sheep wasn't too happy about sharing his girls, so off they went!

 One of the females.  Can you see the legs of the other one?  I originally thought there were only 3, but then saw the juvenile.
 Papa
 Papa didn't like me...
 GO AWAY and STAY AWAY from my girls!
 2 of his girls...
Goodbye!

1 comment:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I've never seen big horn sheep before. I suspect they are petty elusive. But I would have only had the opportunity to see them when traveling, because I've never lived in an area where they roam.