Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

My garden

I've gone all out with my garden out front this year.  I didn't have ANY garden at all last year, with the drought.  Nothing.  NADA...zilch!  I really miss having cosmos, sunflowers, poppies, zinnias, and other seedlings out front.  Our water bill is only $20 a month and, with all the birds in the yard, I figured it was time to start up the old garden again.  The railroad ties planter is FULL of flowers now and I've planted a few things (lavender and daisies) along the rock walkway.  I've made it a point to drive up to our neighborhood nursery and I give myself $20 a week to spend.  I have to get things into the ground NOW before it's too hot to plant anything.

So, so far, I have 4 inch sweet peas coming up, I have a cosmos already blooming, and a tiny daisy out front along the front fence.

Here in the yard (where I can see everything from my laptop), I have 5 lavender plants, 3 daisy plants ( 1 large one and two small ones), salvia (for the hummingbirds), snapdragons, phlox, stock, and some verbena.  Oh, and 1 Tacoma stans, which will be HUGE by the end of summer (also for the hummingbirds).

I've planted several  many packets of seeds:  cosmos, a California garden mix, a couple of bird seed mixes, two butterfly mixes, and now a couple of hummingbird mixes (mostly nasturtiums).  Yesterday I actually talked to one of the sales people up at the nursery and I came home with Tithonia, more zinnias, more cosmos, and a couple of things I haven't tried...(I'll have to write down their names)...

So, I've got my work cut out for the next couple of days and for next week.  Now I just have to figure out where to put all these things!  Here are some pics of what I have so far:




 My 17 year old cat, Loki, likes to help me!


 Ripley likes to walk through my photos!  Yes, we have a ranch style house.  I LOVE IT!

 Railroad ties garden.  I think this garden is 35 years old.  I love the weathered look of the ties now!
 This is the view from my front porch, looking east.  I have 3 hummingbird feeders in the front yard and 2 in the back.  So far, one little female has stayed.
 Salvia.

 Ripley, once again, IN THE WAY!!!
 verbena
I love the purple verbena.  I hope the hummingbirds or butterflies like it, too!

Okay...I looked at the seed packets I bought yesterday:  4 zinnias, 1 butterfly flower packet, 2 Tithonia (Mexican sunflower), 2 chocolate flower (the guy said these have an amazing aroma!), 2 globe mallow (the guy said these LOVE the heat and they are native to the desert here), and 2 packets of Rudbeckia.  He used to work at the Living Desert and he was very helpful and even gave up his break time to talk to me!

I also have some black eyed Susan seeds that my neighbor saved for me from her front yard last year.  I need to get them into the ground NOW!!!  And, I just discovered they are Rudbeckia!

I also bought a 1 gallon honeysuckle vine...sweet orange.  Can't wait for that to bloom!

No comments: