Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Quad gets his teeth done

The ranch owner called a new vet in town to come over and do Quad's teeth.  We wanted to try her out and I was very pleased!  While I dearly love our previous vet, he IS getting older (aren't we ALL?)  This gal is young and energetic.  She has her own truck and assistant and she was very thorough.  I didn't even have to ask her to check each horse's vitals.  She determined that after Quad, Scout needs to have her teeth done, which I can wait until fall (when I get a regular paycheck) to have done.  ALL the horses except Scout have sand in their guts...sigh...This is just a constant problem.  They ALL have rubber mats, which I sweep off every time I visit, but they also scatter their feed all over the corrals!  (...pulling out hair...) Any ideas/ suggestions?  Hay nets?

Anyway, I got to watch Quad get his teeth done.  She even let me hear his gut and the swishing sound of the sand in it.  I went out and bought 3 days' worth of powdered psyllium yesterday and I'll buy more and return on Friday.  The horses were too out of it yesterday for their lesson, so my trainer will come back on Friday.



1 comment:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Glad the new dentist worked out. My vet says I'm doing everything right with the way I feed my horses and manage the stalls, and still they ingest sand. I just keep on giving them psyllium intermittently. It's a laxative too, so I don't want them to be splatting all the time. Horsekeeping in the desert has its challenges.