Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Guess who dropped in for a visit yesterday afternoon?

It was 117 degrees here yesterday.  Fortunately, I had just refreshed the bird bath.  In temperatures like this, even the birds are panting.  And, GUESS WHO stopped by for a drink and a few minutes' worth of pleasure in the bird bath?  Yup...our resident Cooper's hawk!



Our daughter had stopped by for a visit and when she opened the front door to leave, he took off!  Fortunately, I was ready with my camera!  I'm glad he came for a drink and a visit because it was fascinating to be able to observe him through our living room window!

3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Handsome guy... or gal. 117 degrees??? I'm thinking we've been having a mild summer here compared to the last couple of years. It's only 105 today. I was looking at my electric bill and noting that our bill starts going down in August, so July is the hottest month. With this being July 31st, that means there's hope for cooler temperatures right around the corner.

Cheryl Ann said...

Actually, our summer here hasn't been THAT bad, either. We had a hot, hot May, but we haven't hit 120 at all this summer. One summer, when it was 123 degrees, our air conditioner died...so far...knock on wood...this one is holding up!
Cheryl Ann

Grandma C said...

Beautiful bird shots!