Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Sunni having some fun!

So, yesterday I FINALLY had a full, free morning to drive up to the horses.  I couldn't do it Friday because I had to babysit the granddaughter, and Saturday we had to get ready at 1:00 p.m. to go to the McCallum Theater for open call.  Our daughter's band made the finals and we had tickets to watch her band and all the other finalists.  What a great show!  I want to go next year and just enjoy my two hours there.

It was also clear yesterday morning, so off up the mountain I headed.  Got to the ranch about 9:30.  The ranch owner was out cleaning corrals, but their collie had gotten out of the front gate, so I rounded her up and locked the gate.  She might have headed down the hill (not a good thing!).  Silly dog!

I brushed and groomed an unappreciative Gigondas.  Humppppfffffttt!  She could have cared less.  In fact, I think I annoyed her.

Next...Scout.  Her spots are coming through now that she is losing her winter coat.  I think she just tolerated me.

Quad didn't want to be brushed AT ALL and wouldn't hold still.  He just wanted another meal.

Sunni was a GOOD BOY and let me brush both sides of him.  He usually dances around so that I can't get his "off" side, but today he stood still.  He had a lot of fur come off.

Then, Lucille...Now, Lucille is the hairiest horse I have.  I could just SEE clumps of hair on her.  She had them under her mane.  She had them down her legs.  She had them on her BIG BUTT.  I took a photo of her corral after I finished brushing her.  All her hair should keep the birds busy for weeks!  She really is a "woolly mammoth".

I decided to take Sunni down to the arena for some lunging and desensitizing.  I figured that out of all the horses, he needed it the most, and I wasn't sure how much energy I would have.  So, off we went.  He did well with his lunging and "stay" command.  I desensitized him by using the long lead rope.  He could have cared less.  So, I let him go to run and self-exercise.  He's always been very good about self-exercising (see photos below).  Apparently the little colt missed Sunni because he was calling to him the entire time he was down in the arena!





No comments: