Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The end of an era...

Hubby and I stopped by the ranch Friday afternoon and again today (Sunday) to give the rest of the herd psyllium.  Cathy, the ranch owner, moved Scout down to a small corral across from Quad and Sunni.  It will be easier to make sure SHE isn't eating sand because they also moved down a rubber mat, which is now safely laid beneath her feeder.  She won't have as much room to roam, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and have her up there eating alfalfa off the sand.  No matter WHAT we did, the horses would either toss their alfalfa out of the feeders and eat it on the damn sand or, in Scout's case, she would grab it out of the big rubber tire (which had a rubber mat under it) and fling it onto the sand.  I just can't take the chance of losing another horse to colic.

Cathy saved me part of Cali's mane and I'm going to have it made into one of the memory vases so I'll always have her near me.  I also took a cutting of Beauty's, but I have misplaced it. I'm going to keep looking for it, but I put it in a "safe" place and now I can't remember that "safe" place...


Anyway, there are no horses in that corral any longer.  And, the mare next to them has been sent elsewhere, so those corrals will now sit empty and unused...the end of an era.  I've had two horses in that corral, and, at one time, even three, since the summer of 2007.  Now it stands deserted...I honestly don't think I'll ever put another horse in it.

No comments: