Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Cali is colicking BADLY

I got a phone call yesterday about noon from the ranch owner.  Cali was colicking.  BADLY...she immediately called our vet.  Cali is FULL of sand.  He didn't hear ANY gut sounds, her heart rate was very fast, and she was breathing heavily.  Plus, she was dehydrated.  He treated her with mineral oil, gave her some painkillers, and electrolytes.  Now she is in God's hands...

Please send your prayers our way.  She is a wonderful, kind, gentle soul who doesn't deserve this.  I am so upset I've only slept two hours last night...As of 10:00 p.m., she was down in the arena standing.  She isn't down or thrashing, so that's good.  The vet wasn't sure she would survive the night.

I probably won't be online at all this week as I have parent conferences and I was so exhausted over the weekend that I basically didn't get out of my pajamas the whole time.  I did NOT go up to the ranch because  honestly, I would have just been in the way and would have been a pile of tears.

Thank you and I hope to have good news later.  Please do send your prayers.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending many prayers up for sweet Cali, to pull through this.
Come on Cali, don't give up yet. You can do it!

cheyenne jones said...

You got it!..........IGWT.

Anonymous said...

Sending best wishes and prayers to all of you.

Katharine Swan said...

Please post an update as soon as you are able. My thoughts are with you... I hope she pulls through. If she's not trying to roll, that actually sounds very hopeful!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

So sorry about Cali's colic. And terrible timing with your P-T conferences. Sending out prayers.

Tara said...

Such a very hard thing to deal with, prayers for her to pull through...
Tara

Marissa said...

Oh no! I will pray for his quick and healthy recovery!

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

I'll keep you in my thoughts and I hope that she gets better. Your both in my thoughts xx