Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Birds and gophers

 We have pesky gophers in the back yard.   I constantly see new holes...sigh...Our dog has caught 2 of them and is very interested in a couple of spots out back, but for 2 days now I haven't spotted any new holes.   So, I'm hoping he got the last one.

We have a cottontail who comes to visit every now and then and a female roadrunner who comes every morning now.   At first she scared off the doves, but now they tolerate her.   They are too big for her, but she does catch a sparrow every now and then (NOT a pretty sight!)...She also digs for huge slugs in the dirt which I didn't even know were there!   She is quite entertaining, but she is also cunning like a Velociraptor. I have seen her HIDE in the bushes and then rush out, scaring all the birds away (and catching a sparrow!)   She delights in scaring the smaller birds.

I did our weekly shopping this morning:  WalMart and Whole Foods and I was lucky to get out during their senior hours, so both stores were almost EMPTY!   YAY!   In & out in no time at all and without running into a lot of people!   :-)

I MAY drive across town to COSTCO today.   I'm getting low on bird seed and TP.

Until next time,

Cheryl ~~ Ripley and her bear about 2016.   RIP sweet thing.   I still miss her.


No comments: