Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Settling in

I think I've finally settled in with retirement.  I like it; it likes me (I think)...

I have now planted a vegetable garden (my first one in over 30 years!).  I enjoy getting up before dawn, fixing my coffee, feeding the dog, waiting for the alpenglow to hit our local mountains, feeding the birds, and then checking on my garden.

Some kind of VARMIT got to 4 of my cabbages and nibbled most of them off, but they have...SURVIVED!  And, they are getting bigger and stronger.  I think it also has something to do with the bucket of horse manure tea I poured on them!?!?!?!?!?!?  I forget and left the damn thing out in our rain when the last storm came through here and VOILA! It was full of tea, so I used it!  And, I poured some on my sweet peas and I SWEAR they doubled their height overnight!

Every Wednesday morning through May there is a certified farmers' market here in town and hubby and I get up and go to that.  Then we usually run our grocery errands, although today I drove out to COSTCO and to Lowe's (where I bought 4 more tomato plants and another chili).  Oh, and 2 more lavender plants...nice size!

We try to get down to our son's house in Temecula twice a month.  He works all week, so that's a weekend thing.  I babysit the 2 grandkids here in the desert on Wednesday afternoons.  Hubby stays home and babysits the cat and the dog.

Other than that, my time is pretty much open.  My colleagues (who also retired the same time I did) and I get together about 2x a month.  Last time we visited Sunnylands, in Rancho Mirage, "home of the presidents".  I think every president since Eisenhower has visited there.  President Obama donated a bench there, which we saw.  You can tour the gardens for free, but the house tour is $21.00.  That's a little steep for 3 retired teachers!

Here are a few photos from the last few weeks.  I didn't realize I hadn't posted since December 2016!!!!

 This was during one of our rain storms!  I haven't seen that much water in the wash since about 2011!!!!!!  We got nearly 2" of rain!
 Another view of the wash.  It runs down several golf courses and I noticed that today a bulldozer was out leveling it all out again.
 I met a roadrunner on one of my morning walks.
 Bench at Sunnylands donated by President Obama.
 The house.  Too stark and sterile for me.
One of the water features at Sunnylands.

No comments: