Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Mockingbird and hawk

I bought a bag of mealworms a while ago and I've been putting them out on a tree stump left over from when our 25 year old eucalyptus blew over in a wind storm back in May?  June?   (I forget...).  Anyway, the mealworms disappeared every day and I finally figured out that a mockingbird was eating them.

So, I watched and yup...there he was!  He now enjoys them twice a day.  I went through my first bag and had to make a Walmart run to buy another one yesterday.  I moved the tree stump to where I can observe it and I also put out a shallow bowl of water out under our sumac tree for the birds to enjoy out front.

There are now 2 mockingbirds that come to eat the mealworms.  I think they are mates.  One is smaller than the other one (the female, I believe).  They seem to live across the street as I see them flying over there several times a day.

Anyway, I looked out yesterday and to my HORROR the damn hawk (Cooper's hawk) was standing in the water bowl having sips of water!  AYE!  He stayed for quite a while and kept sipping and dipping.  The male mockingbird landed in the sumac and was scolding the hawk and I watched for a few minutes until the hawk also went up ionto the tree and I went outside.  Hawk flew down the street, all the while being chased by the mockingbird.

I don't mind if the hawk visits the yard IF he doesn't eat the mockingbirds!  He killed my blue jay (remember "Burt" the blue jay?)  Burt visited us for 3 1/2 years until the damn hawk got him.  Now the mockingbirds imitate his calls, so I always have to look and see WHO is making those calls!

Anyway, this morning both mockingbirds are in the yard, taking turns eating the mealworms.  It's a cloudy day here (monsoon moisture is coming up from Mexico), so I was able to go out this morning and rake up piles of mesquite leaves at 6 a.m.

I hope the mockingbirds survive the hawk.  From what I've been reading, they DO chase hawks and they DO seem to survive, so I'll be crossing my fingers.

I got about 20 photos of the hawk, but I don't have a single photo of the mockingbirds.  They are just too fast.

No comments: