Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Dinner and visiting friends

After spending all day Wednesday in the class for the iPad, I just got in a real funk.  I didn't do ANYTHING for 2 days.  I didn't go see my horses.  I FINALLY dragged myself out of the house Friday morning and ran errands and dropped a car full of stuff at Angel View (the thrift shop for disadvantaged children).  I didn't even go inside.  Oh, and we got RAIN that day!  It was wonderful!  It's drying out now and the humidity is gone (thank goodness).  It's really bad here when the humidity is so bad that after taking your shower, you are a sweaty mess just walking to your car!   :-(

Anyway, I sat next to my good friend Barb during the class (we had to make an iMovie together...) and she invited us up to her house in Pinyon Flats for dinner last night.  Hubby brought asparagas, corn, and wine.  There were 9 of us there, including some of her neighbors.  We had grilled shrimp, chicken, and sausages, bbq corn & asparagas, and sliced peppers in olive oil.  Oh, and one of her neighbors brought some of his home-grown tomatoes, which were DELICIOUS!  I'm not a big tomato eater, but these were very tasty.  A good time was had by all and it was good to be able to sit outside at night (we can't do that here in the desert because it is just too hot).  We looked up at the stars and Milky Way and listened for coyotes.  She lives in Pinyon Flats, which is right on the way to the horse ranch.

Here are some pics from last night.  Barb has a new horse, a Tennessee Walker who was her mom's horse (her mom is 83 now...).  I like how Barb lets her horses roam her property.  It is completely fenced with two electrical wires running along it.  The bottom one is to keep the coyotes OUT and the top one is to keep the horses IN!  Barb accidentally touched the top one with wet shoes (rubber ones) and told us it knocked her backwards on her butt!  She doesn't remember much about it and fortunately was okay.  Next time, she'll be more careful!

Barb has a lot of animals...several chickens, an old turkey, a goat, several dogs, some cats, and her horses!  The top photo is her newest horse, "Chief", who was her mom's riding horse.  He walked right up to us on the porch!




No comments: