Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Snow!!!











After running errands yesterday morning, I decided it was time to head up the hill to the horses' ranch. My German Shepherd, Rommel, saw me getting ready and was begging to go with me! He likes to go along, so I put an extra blanket down in the back of the car. He actually RAN out to the car and jumped in! Silly boy! I gathered my cameras and headed off. By the time I drove to the foot of the mountains, it was misting. Then, it turned to rain. I noticed a LOT of cars coming down the hill with snow on them. The clouds were quickly moving, too. About halfway there, the rain stopped splattering on my windshield and everything was quiet. SOMETHING was coming down, however...little snowflakes! It was so pretty. I pulled over and took some photos and so did another motorist going the other way. In the 35 years I've lived in the desert, this is only the second time I've driven through a snow storm. When I got to the ranch, the horses were wet and I gave them some carrots and their sweet feed. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!! The forecast this week is for snow down to 3,500 feet (the horses are at 4,000 feet) today and tonight, then a couple days of clearning, then another storm coming.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

Isn't that crazy? I thought we might get some too, and we still might. Lots of rain here!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

The first time I saw snow it was in Tuscon, AZ. I was in first grade. There is something nice about snow in the desert.

Katharine Swan said...

That "Icy" sign with snow on it is classic. Great pic! I love it!

Katharine Swan said...

Gotcha!