Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, April 7, 2018

SUMMER? ALREADY???????

It is supposed to be 100 degrees here Tuesday and in the upper 90's the rest of the week.

...sigh...there go my sweet peas. 

On the other hand, my beans and squash will be enjoying the warm weather! That's what is so unique about the Coachella Valley.  Farmers can get in 9 (NINE) different crop rotations throughout the year.  I always watched what they were growing on my way to school every morning.  In winter they raise broccoli, lettuce, green onions, cauliflower, and other cool season crops.  They get 3 rotations of corn:  an early corn, a June crop, and then another one before they plow everything under in August and just let the fields lie empty.  In summer they grow CORN, melons, squash, beans (not pole ones), watermelon, peppers, and I'm not sure what else.  I don't follow that route any longer since I'm not working.

We had to turn on the air conditioner yesterday.  We HATE to do it, but when it is 85 degrees in the house and we are both sweating, well, it HAS to be done.  I love to have the windows open and listen to the birds, but not when it is in the high 90's.

So, enjoy your weekend!
~Cheryl Ann~
These are all blooming in my front and back yard right now:








No comments: