Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

A week's break from the heat and then...

We have had wonderful mornings here all this week (so far).  I even went out this morning and raked up tons of mesquite pods, raked the now-defunct strip of non-grass next to the driveway, and pulled more weeds out of my flower patch out front.  I'm trying to get that area ready for my fall plantings!  I can hardly wait!!!  But, in the meantime, I really do need to clean it out.  I've ordered the following seeds: California poppies, desert lupine, wild sunflowers (for next spring), and a couple of desert and full sun mixtures.

So, the front yard is starting to shape up quickly.

I have 4 hummingbirds (3 males and 1 female) who have managed to weather the summer heat here, so I have to clean out their feeders every other day.  I cleaned and filled them all up this morning.  I make my own mixture of sugar and water.  I don't like to use the commercial ones...too many artificial ingredients.

In the meantime, we have armies of ants in the house!  I found a trail yesterday after the damn dog emptied out the kitchen trash onto our living room floor!  Grrrrrrr!  I vacuumed up ants all afternoon.  I don't like to use pesticides at all.  First, my husband is EXREMELY sensitive to them and also, with all the birds around, I am hesitant to use them.  I did sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the carpet, and then I had to vacuum all of that up, too!  It did seem to do the job.  However, I see ant hills outside and I am going to have to spray those.  Otherwise, I have 10,000 ants INSIDE!  Ugh!

Our daughter is already back at school and our grandson, too.  My old district will start next week.  I'm so thankful I don't work any more!  (...doing the happy dance...)Ugh.  I doubt I would have made it through another year.  30 is long enough, don't you think?

~Cheers!

morning clouds coming over from Arizona yesterday morning...

No comments: