Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, June 20, 2016

HEAT WAVE!

There is a high settled over California and Arizona for the next several days and we've already had record-breaking temps here yesterday.  It was 119 in Palm Springs.  Today, it is expected to be 123 degrees.

Hubby and I aren't going ANYWHERE.  We are hunkering down, closing all the drapes, and staying inside with the air conditioning.  I bought some solar screen material for the west facing windows and, you know, it seems to be helping.  The windows don't have heat blasting right through them.  It is supposed to reflect 98% of the sun's rays and heat and I do think it is working.  I also put up some old drapes in our bedroom (to prevent the air conditioning from getting out and the heat from coming in), and I think that is helping, too.  So, we are nice and cool inside.

I only let the dog out to do her business and she's trained now to let us know.  She comes up to either myself or hubby and puts her head in our lap and LOOKS at us pleadingly!  She goes out, does her business, and then takes a dip in her wading pool, and comes back inside.

I've been leaving the hose on just a tiny, tiny bit to provide some water for the birds who show up panting every afternoon.  I have two shallow bowls with water out front for them, in my garden, which now has sunflowers, Tithonia, mint, and blue penstamon.  Right now 2 birds are at one of the shallow bowls, bird butts in the air, drinking!   :-)  The hummingbirds love the Tithonia and are out there every morning, visiting it and the penstamon.

 Tithonia (Mexican sunflower)
One of my 3 sunflowers out front.  The little verdins like to come and enjoy the pollen!

No comments: