Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Had a great day with the horses today!!!

I was supposed to go to the Living Desert with our daughter and granddaughter today, but Jennifer awoke with a migrane, so she called it off.  So, I went up to the horse ranch.  I was determined to make sure that each of the five horses got some R&R time!

I started with Gigondas and we went for a nice walk.  She alerted to the ranch owner coming outside with one of his dogs, but relaxed.  She's always been an easy walker.  She never does anything naughty.  I took her to the large corral right next to their 30 year old gelding, Dufus.  He's next to her anyway and if I take her down to the arena, she runs and runs and runs and he calls to her.  This way, she's just on the other side of him and he can see her, so he doesn't get upset.  And, she has plenty of room to run.  She rolled and rolled and ran and ran and had a good time!

Then, I took Sunni down to the arena.  After all the rain they've had, there are weeds and grasses sprouting everywhere!  Sunny is really good about self-exercising, so I just let him go.

Next, I took Quad up to the round pen.  He walked well, right beside me.  He really is a huge LOVE BUG!  He got up there and rolled and then took off, kicking and farting (typical Quad behavior)...

I wandered around the ranch with my camera for a while and did some cleaning up at the tack room.  I really tried to make sure each horse was getting about 30 minutes of R&R.

Took Sunni back to his corral, and made MISS PRISSY (Scout) wait her turn.  She's very good now about waiting inside her corral gate.  She no longer makes a mad dash out of it.  In fact, she's quite dainty!  I took her out for a walk and she was a bit uneasy...I was surprised.  I would have thought she would be the one to not be afraid of anything, but she seemed to be afraid of quite a few things this morning.  I lunged her, but then the neighbors let their dogs out and they ran along the fenceline and THAT scared her.  The lead rope flew out of my hands (there was no use TRYING to hold on to it, at that point..she was in full panic!).  She finally calmed down and I was able to walk up to her, grab the lead rope, and continue out lunging.  I didn't want her to think that she got away with anything.  She was fine after that.

Took Lucille up to the round pen after I returned Quad to his corral.  She was fine and went off to roll.

PHEW!

I do believe that my vitamins are really helping boost my energy level way up.  There was NO WAY I could have done this without them last fall.  THANK GOODNESS!   :-)  All 5 got some "outside" time today and it's a 4 day week, so I'll have next weekend to visit them again!

Sunni's tail is STILL horrible!  I'm going to try to rub some coconut oil in it, but Quad would probably just enjoy eating that, too!!!!  Do any of you use coconut oil for your horses?  Inside or outside?  Mane?  Tail?  As a supplement?

2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Sounds like you made the most of your day despite cancelled plans.

Linda said...

Just got back from Palm Desert and saw some ladies riding their horses...I was sooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!! All of you who have this beautiful weather to ride in while we fight ice and fog....did I say I'm jealous??!!??