Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Frisky horses!.

I worked with two horses on Sunday.  Saturday I was too exhausted to even get out of my pajamas.  I'm find that, after dealing with this group of kids this year, by Saturday, my brain has turned to MUSH and I'm too exhausted to deal with anybody or anything.  So, I usually vegetate on Saturday.  By Sunday, however, I have recovered!  :-)  So, early Sunday morning, I headed up to the horse ranch.  I wanted to at least work with a couple of horses.  I started with Sunni, since he was waiting by his corral gate and it had been a while since I last took him out.  He's always been a good walker with me and there was no breeze to distract him.  I lunged him and then let him go.  Apparently he had quite a few farts stored up because he sure let loose with a few!  Then I desensitized him on both sides.  He didn't even move.  The farrier was out last week and everybody's feet look really good!  His "big ole feet" looked well trimmed.  So, back he went and I next took out Lucille, since she really needs the exercise.  She basically was in her corral for the previous 6 years.  I only saw her previous owner about 4x a YEAR.  YES!  So, I always try to take her out for some R&R.  She doesn't need desensitizing~she's already very calm.  She DOES need to build up her muscles and endurance.  So I just lunged her a little while and then turned her loose in the arena.  She REALLY enjoyed her time there!  I was planning on returning yesterday, but I started trimming overhanging tree branches around the house and that took me most of the day.  My trainer is coming today, so she will work ALL of them today...:-)





No comments: