Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I've FINALLY broken through with Gigondas!

It rained over an inch each of the last two days up at the horse ranch, so my trainer didn't come this morning.  However, I drove up there.  After being INSIDE for 5 days, I was itching to get out and have some horse time!  It really was very slick up there and I noticed Gigondas standing at her corral gate (that means she wants OUT!), so I asked the ranch owner if she thought the arena was too slick.  She said Gigo would be okay as long as she didn't take off running.  So, I haltered her, took her to the tie rack, groomed her, and told her to walk SLOWLY in the arena.  Apparently she listened because she behaved herself.  I took Sunni up to the round pen so he could practice tying (he actually did very well up there), then I drove to the feed store to buy 6 bags of pellets.  I like to supplement their straight alfalfa with Bermuda and timothy pellets.  I also supplement with a supplement that has probiotics, yeast, and some molasses.  When I buy 12 bags of it (about every 6 months), I get a free bag, so I got my free bag today.  BUT, that meant unloading and putting away 6 very heavy bags.  I've been driving a green smoothie this morning and I really DO have much more energy!  (I mix coconut milk, a protein mix, wheatgrass (powdered), and a green drink and 1/2 banana)...Anyway, as I was driving back from the feed store, Gigo came right up to the arena fence and followed my car along.  Like she missed me!  Or, she wanted some attention!  That's a real breakthrough for her!  I gave everybody a nice pellet mixture for their lunch and headed home because the thunderheads were gathering and it was getting VERY humid!

No comments: