Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Vulture~Nature Notes~052313


As I was getting ready to leave the horse ranch Sunday, a large shadow crossed right below me.  Of course, my camera was packed in the car, so I grabbed it and ran to take a look.  It was a single vulture.  I have seen these birds before up at the ranch, but this one was very close.  He rode a thermal for quite some time, then moved down the valley.  I always enjoy seeing these birds.  The valley also is host to several bald eagles which I occasionally see sitting on top of a telephone pole.  Lake Hemet, which is on the other side of the valley, does an annual bald eagle count.  Just look at that wingspan!  Nature Notes for May 23, 2013.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

3 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

Really amazing! Vultures, the only ones we have here are Bankers!

Anonymous said...

The vulture in flight is beautiful to watch.

Rambling Woods said...

It always look like they are having fun up there.... Michelle