Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, May 2, 2020

More garden photos~Nature Notes for May 2, 2020

I actually have 2 gardens~one in the front yard and one in the back.   We haven't had a lawn in over 20 years and I DO NOT use pesticides or Round Up.   I have bird feeding stations in the acacias right outside my craft room window and we also have a 2 tier fountain, which the birds love.   Our mornings start with the sounds of birds chirping.   They all disappear around noon, but reappear in the afternoons and early evenings.   We also have a cottontail who comes in the yard and I've found its resting place among the hollyhocks.   I often scare him or her out of their hiding place!

My gardens keep me sane in this time of insanity and uncertainty. My county, Riverside, has the second highest number of COVID-19 cases in California.  Meanwhile I tend to my sunflowers, hollyhocks, cosmos, marigolds, and try to ignore the chaos outside my little corner.

I believe my hollyhocks are at their peak right now.   They are blooming profusely and colorfully.   Every day another one opens up.   I have them both in the front and back.  They are under the mesquite out front and along the pathway to the front door.   I have a virtual forest of them there.  In the back yard, however, I scattered them in different "plots".   They are also along our chain link fence, with my sweet peas.   That makes for a nice combination.

Here are some photos of the hollyhocks:








Nature Notes for May 2, 2020.    To find Nature Notes, please go to this link:   https://ramblingwoods2.com/

6 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Awesome Hollyhocks..Love Hollyhocks...but mine never get this big.
And they almost always fall over and break. Have a great day!

Karen said...

Oh, hollyhovks! How spendid. I haven't seen those for ages.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what beautiful hollyhocks! No wonder the cottontail likes resting near them!

Rambling Woods said...

How beautiful Cheryl.....we too have front yard gardens and very little grass....Michelle

Traveler In Me said...

The hollyhocks look amazing. Its lovely to be surrounded by nature --- flowers and birds. I am sure it has a healing effect on you in such times. Have a happy weekend Cheryl!

betty-NZ said...

I've always liked hollyhocks but can't seem to get them into my garden. I might try again next spring--only 6 months away!!
I love the variety you have. Nice captures.


Feel free to share at My Corner of the World