Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Just hanging around the yard

I'm really enjoying our 80 degree weather.  However, by tomorrow, a cold front is moving in and there might be SNOW up at the horse ranch!  YES!  Brrrrr.....!!!

So, yesterday I went back to the garden center, bought 4 more snapdragons (since the hummingbirds like them), 2 verbenas, 1 mint, and 3 packages of a miniature sunflower.  These only grow to be 2-3 feet tall, so I planted them next to the railroad ties raised bed, so they won't block the afternoon sun.  I had 7 cabbage plants from school on Friday.  Every 3rd grader got to take home a cabbage plant, and there were about 16 left, so I took 7.  They are now happily planted in the raised bed, along with the mint.  I figured the mint would discourage some of the cabbage moths....???

I'll go out this morning and take some more photos.  I'm really enjoying my front yard garden this year.  I hope the plants do well with all the El Nino storms forecast!

Here are a few photos from yesterday:

 My daisies...
 My 20 year old cat who insists on being in EVERY photo!  Oye!
 Snapdragons...
 Snapdragons and daisies...
More snaps...

2 comments:

Camryn said...

You may wish to plant the mint in the grounded but, still in pots with the lip of the pot above the soil. Otherwise you'll be taken over very, very quickly.

Grandma C said...

Any cat who has lived that long deserves to be in every photo... well almost. lol Beautiful flowers by the way