Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Gigondas today

Still no granddaughter...sigh...

I woke up early today (my LAST day of spring break) and headed up the mountain by 8:00 a.m.  I drove through Garner Valley because the clouds had settled among the mountains up there and it was really quite pretty.  A storm front moved in and temps were quite comfortable (it was actually COLD up in the mountains!).  I had to buy pellets for the horses and the ranch owner needed 2 bales of hay for one of her Peruvians who doesn't tolerate alfalfa well, so we rode to the feed store together in her truck.  It was good to visit with her.  She wasn't home last Tuesday when I went to my horses' lesson.  She's been getting extra hours at work and her schedule is now pretty erratic.  So, we had a nice visit.  I came back and groomed Gigondas because she was the best behaved last week and today it was breezy.  I didn't take ANY of them out, but I groomed 3 of them in their corrals.  I also had my phone nearby in case our daughter called (she didn't...).  I bought 4 bags of pellets and unloaded them into the container down my Scout, Quad, and Sunni.  Gigondas really enjoys her grooming sessions now and she was very good in her corral.  I don't even halter her.  She stands and lets me groom her and she issues BIG SIGHS!  :-)  That's even a difference from last summer.  Oh, and she now lets me quietly and calmly brush her head and face!  She has a lot of loose hair, especially around her withers (maybe water settled there during winter?) and I really like to brush that area.  I actually took these pics last week (I didn't take any today of the horses)...(just too busy, I guess!), and I was listening for my phone.  Tomorrow it's back to school and I have...gasp!...parent conferences this week!