Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, July 4, 2008

Sunni


Well, after Sunni's little "incident" with being tied, he has shied away from me and HEAVEN FORBID he should see a halter. I had him tied about a month ago and he panicked, pulled back on the rope, SAT DOWN, panicked again, and squeezed out of his rope halter. Okay. No more rope halters. Off he went, running, back to the pen and hung out near it until I could get some sweet feed and entice him back inside with that. Since then, he hasn't wanted to be near me or lead ropes or halters.


So, Wednesday cousin Valerie came over and did join up with him. It took HER an hour to get him to join up! He finally let her touch him (quiver, quiver...). So, my homework this week, is to do it DAILY with him. So, yesterday, it only took 8 minutes. He let me touch him all over and pick up his feet, and he followed me all around the corral. Phew! It is nice to have my horse back again!


We will "reintroduce" him to the lead rope next week and the halter after that. Nice and slow. Back to the beginning.

1 comment:

arlene said...

Hi,
This is Wildairo's adopted mother lol. You blog is wonderful! I'm looking forward to reading more. Your horses are lovely.