Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Shedding!







ALL the horses are shedding! Cali's beautiful palomino coat is underneath a TON of winter white woolies! Scout's beautiful buckskin coat is underneath her white winter coat! I brushed them BOTH this afternoon until my arm hurt! And, there is still MORE to come out! I'm thinking about having a "brushing party" next weekend and inviting Hal's friends to come up and help! With 5 horses, I need some help! Beauty doesn't have as much hair as she was down in the desert for the winter, not up in the mountains with snow and freezing mornings!






Oh, and when I bent over to put water in the shredded beet pulp bucket yesterday, SOMETHING WIGGLED by the hose! A SNAKE! AAAAaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Fortunately, upon seeing it, I realize it was NOT poisonous, but rather a nice, healthy gopher snake! Of course, I screamed for Art and he came over and picked him (her?) up with a large stick, but he (she?) was able to escape Art's gaze and went inside the tack room, by the water faucet! At least he (she?) will help keep the rodent population under control!

No comments: